Electromagnetic Compatibility Testing
Washington Labs specializes in EMC & RF Testing.
Our full-service electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) and Radio Frequency offerings include:
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) testing & certification
- Industry Canada testing & certification
- European Union CE Marking
- MIL-STD-461 testing
- RTCA DO-160 testing
We are a Notified Body (1317) for the European EMC Directive (2004/108/EC to 2014/30/EU; 99/5/EC R&TTE Directive and 2014/53/EU Radio Equipment Directive (RED).
EMC Testing Overview
Washington Laboratories has been providing Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Testing, Engineering, and Design Services for over thirty years. The founders of Washington Laboratories, wrote “The Electromagnetic Compatibility Handbook” that is still a trusted reference source. Learn more about the history of Washington Laboratories
EMC testing is a focus on two two kinds of issues – emissions and susceptibilty (also known as immunity).
- Emissions testing is related to the generation of unwanted electromagnetic interference (EMI) by equipment operation, and to the steps necessary to reduce or avoid the unwanted emissions from escaping into the environment.
- Immuniy testing focuses on the correct operation of electrical equipment while withstanding unplanned or potential electromagnetic interference.
Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) covers a broad discipline and touches the operation of equipment that greatly affects our modern lives. In essence, the “goal of EMC” is the result of all electrical and electronics equipment operating in its environment properly and without a negative effect on the environment.
Early work in “RFI” or Radio Frequency Interference started in the 1930s, primarily with military systems and notably airplanes. The installation of radio equipment in early aircraft gave rise to noise problems in the radio receivers from ignition sources (spark plug noise) and related pulse and broadband interference sources, such as precipitation static (so-called “P-Static”). Other concerns, which continue today, include protection against lightning-induced energy which can threaten airborne, ground and sea-based equipment.
EMC Testing Services
Our Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Testing labs Feature:
- Automated measurements and data collection and reporting
- Flexible on-site measurements: remote locations, suburban/urban locations
- Discreet measurement techniques: extended and long-term measurements
- Broad and narrow band measurements from DC-40 GHz
- Magnetic field measurements: DC-30 MHz
- Electric field measurements: 100 Hz — 40 GHz
- Measurements per ANSI C95.1: Radiation Hazards
- EMC Test plan preparation
- Engineering propagation testing and studies
- Design assistance and review
Reduce interference potential by knowing your electromagnetic environment. Radio frequency measurements of potential interference at your installation can help reduce problems in sensitive installations (i.e., medical devices, pace makers, etc.) To make these determinations, very specific measurements must be taken on location. And you probably needed it done yesterday.
On-Site Testing for Compliance
On-site testing, sometime referred to in situ testing is an option that is often used when performing equipment evaluation at a customer location, factory or other non-laboratory test venue. There are several reasons to perform product compliance testing at specific location, rather than at a test laboratory. A major reason is that the equipment may be physically too large for a test laboratory. The other reason is that special support equipment or infrastructure is needed to operate the equipment. For example, the electricity supply may have specific voltage or amperage requirements that cannot be accommodated in the laboratory. Other operational needs may include mechanical services such as air-handling, chemical requirements, other support equipment. Other reasons may include security issues or other special access issues relating to sensitive equipment and/or intellectual property. The testing may cover the various EMC, Safety and Machinery requirements and these are well-used methodology. View more information about our On-Site Testing Services.
We can help.
Washington Laboratories provides radio frequency measurements to Personal Communications Services and Cellular providers. We are the single resource for fast, accurate and responsive RF measurements from DC to 40 GHz.